Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Line Upon Line

When I was a kid I was totally addicted to the Saturday’s Warrior music, I would listen to my cassette tape (yes, I’m dating myself lol) over and over again.  One of my girls gave me the new Saturday’s Warrior movie for Christmas, at first I was thrown off by the new songs and missing some of the other songs, but I now appreciate them all.  Anyway, I was listening to the Saturday’s Warrior CD (yes, I’ve upgraded) on the way to church and belting out “Line Upon Line” with the singers and just feeling good.  Then in Sunday School we were divided into groups for discussions and my group was given the scripture:  Doctrine and Covenants 98:12 - “For he will ​​​give​ unto the faithful line upon line, precept upon precept; and I will ​​​try​ you and prove you herewith.”  Of course, I had to start singing and a friend joined in with me.  Our group leader even tried to get us to sing it when it came our turn to present our discussion, yeah, that didn’t happen (even my friend who sings on stage wasn’t about to do it haha).  

In the lesson manual they had this great quote from Elder Boyd K. Packer:

“Sometimes you may struggle with a problem and not get an answer. What could be wrong? It may be that you are not doing anything wrong. It may be that you have not done the right things long enough. Remember, you cannot force spiritual things. Sometimes we are confused simply because we won’t take no for an answer. …  Put difficult questions in the back of your minds and go about your lives. Ponder and pray quietly and persistently about them.  The answer may not come as a lightning bolt. It may come as a little inspiration here and a little there, ‘line upon line, precept upon precept’ (D&C 98:12).  Some answers will come from reading the scriptures, some from hearing speakers. And, occasionally, when it is important, some will come by very direct and powerful inspiration. The promptings will be clear and unmistakable” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1979, 29–30; or Ensign, Nov. 1979, 21).
My favorite part was to put the question in the back of your mind and go about your life, but consistently ponder and pray about them.  I have had something on my mind for awhile now and a little thought popped into my head Sunday morning and then this lesson about line upon line made me realize that I needed to make this question a little more a part of my thoughts and daily prayer.  I have also started taking just 10 minutes in the morning to do a little studying on this thought and I’m learning so much, line upon line!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!