Thursday, February 5, 2015

Cycle of Energy

I remember the first time that my therapist shared this cycle with me, it was so new to me and I told her that I think I had just been moving between Impulse and Action and back again. 

I can't remember what my therapist actually called this cycle, but I like to think of it as the Cycle of Energy.

First, we have an Impulse or an idea and I have come to realize that sometimes this stage may last for many days, weeks or even months.  If for instance I don't have what I need to act on the Impulse I will end up waiting or even if I don't have the energy needed for the idea it will also take more time.

Next in the cycle is Action and this happens when everything needed for the Impulse falls into place.  I love this stage, the whole experience of getting something done and seeing the result is very fulfilling for me.
 
Next is Recuperation, this is the part of the cycle that I didn't understand was crucial.  After expending energy for the Action the body needs to recover.  Because I failed to allow myself to recuperate, I exhausted myself beyond more than my body to recover easily and it took a very, very long time to reach a full recuperation.  Now I understand this this step in the Cycle of Energy is extremely important.
 
The next stage is Reintegration, the definition of reintegrate is:  to renew with regard to any state or quality, to restore, to bring again together into a whole.  Essentially, this means that after we have completed Recuperation we become whole again.  This is where I go to my teeter-totter analogy for balance, you have Action on one side and Recuperation on the other and the "bouncing" back and forth achieves balance, in other words, our energy is whole again when we are balanced between the two.
 
The last stage is Homeostasis which defined is:  a state of psychological equilibrium obtained when tension or a drive has been reduced or eliminated.  I liked how one definition I found referred to Homeostasis as when conditions remain stable.
 
I really believe in this Cycle of Energy now that I understand how it works and how following it keeps me balanced and stable.  I love the word "homeostasis" it just sounds like being settled and even-kill, like the calm before the storm.  I just need to remember to recuperate after the various storms of life and I know that I can be back in Homeostasis before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!