Thursday, January 22, 2015

Treat Your Body Like a Child

I have been very indulgent since October (my son's wedding, my birthday, Halloween, my daughter's wedding, Thanksgiving, out to dinner for Taylor leaving on her mission, my anniversary, Christmas, New Year's and everything in between).  Before then I had lost 23 lbs., but at the end of all the celebrations I had gained back 8 lbs.  I'm sure it could have been worse, but who wants to repeat all the work (apparently I do).  So it is time to get back on track.

As I was looking through some notes the other day I came across this one my daughter found in a dance magazine:

You have to treat your body like a child, don't indulge it's whims but know the limits of what it can endure.  by Uliana Lopatkina

I love this quote, we all have that little child in us that wants and wants and wants.  I know I would not have given in to my children on as much junk food as I have to myself  for many months now.  Just because I "want" doesn't mean I should let myself do that.  I feel like I need to ask myself before I consider having a treat if it is just the child in me "wanting" and if so I need to be the adult in that moment and say no.

As to the last portion of the above quote, that is also something that I have had to learn over time, know the limits of what your body can endure.  I used to push way past my endurance and that is always when I would hurt myself.  You need to know how to push yourself enough to get a good work out but not so far as to cause harm.

I guess the bottom line here, is know yourself, be kind to yourself and part of being kind is not over indulging.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!