Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Create a Habit

I'm sure I am not the only one that has a hard time making yourself do things.  When I would talk to my therapist about this I would say things like, I just need to "force" myself to . . . and whatever it was.  My therapist commented one day that she really didn't like the word "force" and wondered if I could come up with a kinder way of getting myself to do things, like cheering myself on to do it or something like that.  I've thought about it for years actually and had never really come up with anything better until recently.  I realized that the things I wanted to "force" myself to do are things that I do have a desire to do, just struggle in doing them and what better way than to "create a habit" in doing them.  So that has become my new wording, I won't force myself, I will create a habit.  It definitely sounds kinder to myself this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!