Thursday, September 11, 2014

Getting Out Of The Funk

Last week I had a day where I was really in a funk and try as I might, I couldn't get out of it.  I tried doing my work like I usually do and I just couldn't shake it.  Finally, I realized I was going to have to create something.  I have come to realize that when I start creating, whether it is paper crafting or with yarn, I will slowly move out of the funk I am in.

In the book The Secret by Rhonda Byrne, she talks about "secret shifters" where you create a list of things that you know will help you "shift" out of the mood you are in.  Recently, I was talking with a friend about her being in a funk and I suggested this idea.  She couldn't come up with any "secret shifter" ideas and didn't know what else to do.  So I opened up another book by Rhonda Byrne, The Power, and I found this quote:

When you're feeling any good feeling, you can also amplify it by looking for things you love. . . .  To amplify my good feelings, I thought about all the things I love.  I counted the things I love nonstop one after the other: my family, friends, home, flowers in the garden, the weather, colors, situations, events, and things I loved that happened during the week, month, or year.  I kept listing everything I love in my mind until I felt amazing.

So we tried it, I said, "I love ..." and filled in the blank, then I had her do the same.  We went back and forth for a long time until I started seeing her smile and laugh again.  I think this will know be my fall back now, not only for myself but for those around me, to help get us out of the funk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!