Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Connection Between Worrying and Exhaustion

I've been really tired lately and feeling really groggy in the morning.  This is a problem that I have had in the past and something was nagging me in the back of my brain about what it meant to be really groggy in the morning, but I couldn't quite grasp what it was.  Then I came across these notes I had taken from the hgi.com website and I suddenly remembered the connection.  The connection between worrying, dreaming and exhaustion.  On the hgi.com website they talk about how worrying causes excessive dreaming.  It makes perfect sense if you are busy dreaming all night, you aren't getting into that deep, restful sleep.

To be honest, I didn't think I was really worrying about anything but reading this caused me to step back and look closer at my thoughts.  Maybe I don't worry as bad as I used to, but there have definitely been things on my mind that are concerning me quite a bit.  On the hgi.com website it mentions that depressed people misuse the tool of imagination and I remember my therapist telling me something similar, that I have a really good imagination, too bad it is all so negative.

I guess I was thinking I wasn't really worrying because I wasn't taking my thoughts to the extreme negative like I used to, I was just being concerned about a few things, not imagining a great disaster like I used to.  But now I realize that doesn't mean that I am not worrying at all, so now that I am aware of my worries again, what do I do about it?

Well, the hgi.com website says that people worry because their innate needs are not being met, so I guess I will start there by figuring out what needs of mine aren't being met right now.  Then the website suggests "Focusing outwards on resolution rather than inwards on non-productive worrying."  It goes on to say that action gives life meaning and to set tasks, exercise, engage in fun activities and help others.  I remember hearing something about worrying being inaction and how it can go away with action, acceptance or, of course, both.

On the website it said, "When patients know that their negative ruminations are causing their poor nights sleep and their exhausted days, they are quickly motivated to work to break the cycle of depression."  I am definitely feeling like that, I really want to quit feeling so tired and groggy so time to take action against my worries, follow my Breathe Strategies and make sure my basic needs are met.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!