Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Law of Accident

With all the weddings and mission planning going on here, there has been a lot of talking about goals and planning for life in our house.  A few months ago we even did the "what do you want your life to be like a year from now, 5 years from now, 10 years from now" activity.  Then to add to this line of thinking, the other day in my reading of Feelings Buried Alive Never Die by Karol Truman I came across this thought:

The vast majority of us live our lives by the Law of Accident, that is, by failing to plan we are planning to fail.  We have no goals beyond the short term.  We make no plans.  Consequently, we don't really feel we are in control of our own destiny.  We just hope that somehow things will work out.

It's sad to say it, but that is pretty much how my life has been going, failing to plan.  When my husband and I first got married, I wish that we had planned more.  I have come to realize how important it is to have goals and plans, but to also acknowledge that God can have another plan for you.  I have suggested to my family that it is wise to have a plan, but to also be open to those plans changing.  Let's face it, we all want to feel like we are in control of our own lives and making plans and goals helps us feel like we do have that control.  Feeling like you are in control also includes trusting and accepting when God does change our plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!