Thursday, July 24, 2014

Release Mistaken Belief Process

Last week I had a post that was talking about reinterpreting past events.  The process of releasing mistaken beliefs is similar in nature.  When I came upon this process, I had been trying to work on positive affirmations which felt like lying to myself.  To try and tell myself that I was beautiful and amazing just seemed so wrong.  As I tried to work through this, I came across a process that made more sense to me.  Instead of just coming up with something positive to say to myself, I needed to come up with a mistaken belief, something I believed about myself but was detrimental to my well being.  For example, telling myself that I am not loved.

The next step would be to come up with the evidence for that belief.  As for not being loved, my evidence would be that no one told me that they loved me, I was ignored and so on.  After writing all the evidence I thought I had, the next step was to write down the real truth which would be that my family tells me that they love me, my husband is always there for me, etc.

The next step is to ask yourself, "is this belief promoting my well being and why or why not."  As I worked on this process there wasn't a single time where my mistaken belief was promoting my well being. 

The last step is replacing the mistaken belief with a positive affirmation such as, "I am loved."  The positive affirmations no longer felt like lies to me and I realized that the real lie was the mistaken belief that I had told myself.  This process was so good for me and I used it on a lot of my thoughts and was able to turn them around.  Here is the Release Mistaken Belief Process in a nutshell:

1-Mistaken Belief to Release:
2-Evidence:
3-Truth:
4-Is this belief promoting your well-being and why or why not:
5-Replacement affirmation:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!