Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Heart Rests Too

Resting has always been a hard concept for me to apply in my life.  I don't mind hard work and I love the whole before and after of projects.  But I don't seem to have the energy I used and I have learned to accept that I need to rest in order to be ready to go again.

I have learned so many things over the last few years about rest and recuperation, which was a whole new concept for me.  But everything rests, it is part of the cycle of our daily lives, as noted by Walter B. Cannon in this quote:

Most people have the idea that the heart is working all the time. As a matter of fact, there is a definite rest period after each contraction. When beating at a moderate rate of seventy pulses per minute, the heart is actually working nine hours out of the twenty-four. In the aggregate its rest periods total a full fifteen hours per day.

If the most life producing organ in our body can rest, so can we.  As women and mothers I think sometimes we don't think we can, we feel like we have too much to do and if we don't rest it will never get done.

I remember when I first realized how I would start out at 100%, then the more I pushed through my day that 100% would get less and less.  When you stop to rest, you actually fill yourself back up so that you can go at 100% again, otherwise you find yourself at 80%, then 60%, then 20% until you have nothing left.  So, let's follow the example of our hearts and rest for a moment in between everything we do.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent reminder. I never realize how much I get out of a power nap (or just 20 minutes of being still) until after I allow myself that time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!