Thursday, November 14, 2013

Worry - A Debt You May Never Owe

When I was on Pinterest last night I saw this quote:

Worry is the interest paid in advance on a debt you may never owe.

This quote really made an impression on me, especially the last part about how you may never owe it.  I am a true worrying in every sense of the word.  I have been trying to work on it and I am so much better than I used to be.  I used to lie in bed mulling over different scenarios of what could happen in different situations.  How exhausting!  Dean Hawkes had this to say about worrying:

Half the worry in the world is caused by people in the world trying to make decisions before they have sufficient knowledge on which to base a decision.

I had never really thought about it that way, worrying is thinking over and over about something that you don't have enough information so instead of doing nothing but worrying, take action instead.  Walter B. Cannon has a great system to get past the worry:

We must equip ourselves to deal with different kinds of worries by learning the three basic steps of problem analysis.  The three steps are:  1) Get the facts; 2) Analyze the facts; and 3) Arrive at a decision and act.

I'm sure I have mentioned this before so I hope you don't mind my mentioning it again, but my therapist once told me that I have a really good imagination, too bad it is so negative.  Worry is just your imagination gone wild.  I have come to terms with my worry and when I start to worry, I tell myself that it is either a past way of thinking or my imagination working overtime and to get the facts first before I go any further with the thinking.  Worry truly is a debt you may never owe, so why try paying it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!