Friday, August 30, 2013

What Aren't You Organizing?

I have been on a major reorganization kick here at my house, not sure why I love doing that, but I just really do.  Anyway, as I have been organizing I keep thinking about the book "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?" written by Peter Walsh of Clean Sweep fame.  It is a great book I would highly recommend it.  In the book there is a quiz on your organization skills, styles, etc.  I remember when I finished the quiz, I was so proud of myself as I had all but 1 or 2 items not scored high as I am a very organized person.  Then as I read on I was shocked by the next question Peter Walsh poses.  It wasn't a "way to go you are so organized" type of thing, it was more like a "great you have organization in some things, but what about the things you aren't organizing and why aren't you organizing them" thing.

This wasn't something I had ever really considered.  I organized everything in my life, except one area.  The one thing I wasn't organizing was food and menu planning.  You see, food wasn't really that important to me, other than trying to get my family fed properly, but as for myself, just give me a bowl of cereal and I was happy.  I knew I needed to figure out what the problem was with food and menu planning and I set out on a journey to discover what the reasoning was behind my desire to organize everything in my life, but food and menu planning.  Surprisingly to me, I had some deep emotional issues connected to it that I had to work on resolving.  I also had to find tools to help me organize the food area of my life because it wasn't something that came naturally to me like most organization does.  I got a menu planning app, Big Oven, which helps me plan my menus and shopping lists which has probably been the most helpful too, but I also use MyFitnessPal app to pay attention to the food that I do it (let's face it just eating cereal is not very healthy).  I also organized our freezer and fridge so that I know where things are (much to my family's chagrin because I love labels). 

These steps have all helped and I am doing much better in this area.  So how about you, what is it that you aren't organizing in your life and why not?  It is not a question or journey to the answer to take lightly, but it is definitely eye opening!

1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! Heather.vonstjames(at)gmail.com Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!