Thursday, August 1, 2013

Bland Diet

A couple of weeks ago I was eating dinner and suddenly felt really nauseous then a half-hour later my stomach started really hurting plus a few other obnoxious symptoms as well started.  The only time I felt okay was when I was laying on my stomach or doubled over.  This had happened to me once before, but by the next morning it was gone.  Not this time, it lasted all the next day and into the next so it was off to the doctor I went.  They did a bunch of tests and sent me home with a prescription for an over abundance of stomach acid.  It took about two days, but finally I started to feel better and when I went back for a follow-up appointment after a week I was feeling so much better, or so I thought.  A few hours after my appointment it all started up again, not near as bad, but still a problem.

My doctor had put me on a bland diet in addition to the medication.  I didn't really think about it much, I just thought bland, you know the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast).  I cut out all the citrus, tomato, spicy foods, chocolate (which makes me very sad) and no eating two hours before bedtime as well.  I have to admit the first few days I actually lost a few pounds which was kind of nice, but that didn't last very long.  I had still been eating my almonds, that I just love, and lots of fruit, just not citrus.

Since I was in pain again, I decided I had better research "bland diet" and see if I was doing anything wrong.  Turns out I was doing a lot of things wrong, no seeds or nuts, and here I was eating my almonds when my stomach started hurting, oops!  Oh, and those strawberries I have been eating, a big no-no.  Oh my gosh, no wondering some of my symptoms were lingering, I wasn't helping out my poor stomach at all!  I may have been eating bland, but it turns out that I need to be even more bland.  So another revamp to my diet cutting out the seeds and nuts that I love to eat, most of the raw fruits and vegetables (luckily there are a few that are okay) and I am starting to feel better again. 

My daughter has a lot of the same stomach problems, just not as bad as this, but we have both learned so much through this and what to do when our stomach starts telling us there is a problem via pain.  Isn't that what they say, when you are in pain, your body is talking to you and you had better listen.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! How long do you have to stay on your bland diet? I have so many mysterious digestive issues. Sometimes it just feels like my body is rejecting food altogether. I always feel better when I go back to "eating clean." I wish I could retrain my head to just eat for fuel instead of all those other great reasons to eat. :)
    Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!