Thursday, January 3, 2013

Making and Reviewing Goals

We had some really good talks in church recently about making goals.  I guess it is a good topic for this time of year, but these talks were a little more than that.  One of the speakers was a recently returned missionary and he talked about how the missionaries use goals all the time.  They make daily goals, weekly goals, monthly goals and yearly goals.  But what I felt like the important thing was that the missionaries then review daily, weekly, monthly and yearly on how their goals are progressing.  I remember reading this in the Preach My Gospel when my son first went out on his mission, it was the whole "Return and Report" thing that had really impressed me, but I had forgotten about that until this talk.  We can't just make goals, we need to review them consistently to see how we are doing.  So as I sat there in church that day, I put some notes on my ipad and specifically put down daily, weekly, monthly and yearly goals.  Then I put down a way to assess those goals, or as I like to say "quantify" them.  I know so often we hear that we don't want to be a number, but I really believe you need to in order to quantify it, to see how well you are doing.

If you know me, you know that I love lists, I don't know why, but lists are just my thing, they help me organize my thoughts and help me to accomplish more in my day.  In the past, I lived for my lists, but then I went to the other extreme and just ignored them.  Well, I decided it was time to get back to my lists and I started a daily To Do list on my ipad (can I just say I love my ipad, I've had it for a year now and my whole life is in it all in one place).  I just helps me to stay focused, make my goals for the day and I delete them if I accomplished them so I can see just how well I did.  Then I create a new one before I go to bed or when I get up first thing in the morning.

As for my weekly and monthly goals, I am using the calendar on my ipad for that.  I have the items as repeats on my calendar and then as I accomplish them, I delete them off my calendar.  If it is sitting there, I still need to do it.  Some days I have to play a little catch-up or I allow myself to delete the item completely and not feel guilty about it.

My yearly goals are actually a bigger version of my monthly goals, so if I accomplish those, I should be able to accomplish my yearly goals.  It feels like a really good plan, we will just have to see how well I do on as the year goes on.  The good thing about goals, if you don't succeed, just try again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!