Thursday, December 6, 2012

Mitral Valve Prolapse

I have been free of so many anxiety symptoms for months now and it has been wonderful, but just the last little while anxiety has been starting to sneak in.  I am not really sure why, but I feel really tired and drained and will have sudden bouts of feeling like I am having a hard time breathing.  One of the major noticeable symptoms is that my heart starts to hurt.  When I first started feeling heart pains I was afraid I was having a heart attack, but now I know better.  It is just heart pains from a Mitral Valve Prolapse that I have and when I am having anxiety my heart starts to beat faster and it is just a little to much for that prolapsed mitral valve and so it hurts. 

Despite knowing that the heart pain isn't anything to worry about, doesn't diminish the fact that it is uncomfortable and I don't like it when it happens.  Understanding the issues that can come with a Mitral Valve Prolapse has been very helpful for me.  In fact, here are some of the symptoms:  panic attacks, anxiety, fatigue, palpitations, chest pain, migraines, depression.

What am I supposed to do about the problem?  Well, take care of myself and do things to help with the anxiety as well as these other suggestions:  avoid caffeine and sugar, have a high fluid intake (at least 64 oz), exercise (30 min/day 5 days/week) and sometimes medication can be required.

One other thing that I have to remember is that with the symptoms of fatigue, sometimes resting actually makes it worse as I read online that sometimes "fatigue begets more fatigue, the less you do, the less you feel like doing; the cause of the fatigue may relate to blood volume changes noted with exercise, to a high resting heart rate, or to other physiological factors."  So getting up and getting moving is the best thing for me and doing something active also helps to release anxiety.

It is such a challenge to remember these things, so it was really nice to run across my notes about Mitral Valve Prolapse to refresh my mind with the things I need to do to help take care of myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!