Sunday, December 9, 2012

Loosening the Bands of Addiction Through the Scriptures

While battling an addiction to food, Susan Lunt of Utah, USA, prayed for help.  She turned to the Book of Mormon and read that Nephi was delivered from bands his brothers had tied around his hands and feet:  "O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me . . . ; yea, even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound.  "And it came to pass that l. . . the bands were loosed" (1 Nephi 7:17-18).  "This scripture described exactly how I felt--bound with bands of addiction," Susan wrote.  "Nephi's tangible bands were immediately loosed when he asked for deliverance.  My bands were intangible and I didn't overcome my addiction in a moment, but as I read those words, I felt something shift inside me.  I felt as if the bands around my heart, mind, and body had been loosened, and I knew that I could overcome my addiction."  Susan has made great progress and, because of the inspiration she found in the Book of Mormon, has been able to break other habits that held her bound, including anger, selfishness, and pride.  "I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God," she explained, "and that the answer to any of life's questions can be found within the pages of that book."

from January 2-12 Ensign, Finding Answers in the Book of Mormon, by Sara D. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!