Thursday, October 25, 2012

Stress Manifestation

I have been having problems with my jaw hurting and then one of my teeth suddenly became really sensitive to cold and I started to wonder if maybe the tooth was infected and that was why my jaw was hurting.  Because my jaw hurt so much on the right side I started chewing only on the left side.  Then while I was in Idaho I noticed that a piece broke off one of my teeth on the left side so I called the dentist and scheduled an appointment for when I got back. 

My dentist fixed my broken tooth and took x-rays of the tooth that was being really sensitive to cold.  He showed me on the x-ray how the tissue around the tooth was really inflamed but that the tooth itself was fine.  He said that he thought that I was probably grinding my teeth while I sleep which would explain the swollen tissue and the sore jaw and that stress can cause a person to grind their teeth.  The funny thing is that initially when the jaw pain started I fleetingly wondered if I was grinding my teeth.  This pain had only started a few weeks ago and a few weeks before that was when I left my daughter at college.  So was my jaw pain being a manifestation of how I was feeling emotionally?

I have become a firm believer that our bodies talk to us, that our body's pains are its messages.  Here was my jaw talking to me and I wasn't listening or even understanding the message.  When I got home from the dentist I pulled out my go-to books on understanding these body messages and here is what I found:

Jaw Problems:  Feelings of rage, Subconsciously wanting revenge, Inability to express how one feels from Feelings Buried Alive Never Die by Karol Truman

Jaw Problems:  Anger.  Resentment.  Desire for revenge.  From You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay

That's when I realized that I haven't been letting my anger out, it was something I started last year and was doing it along with my weight loss program.  I had stopped doing it, not sure why, but this was my message that I need to start doing it again.

In Louise Hay's book she offers what she calls "new thought patterns" to go along with the probable emotional cause of a physical problem and with jaw problems she says this as a new thought pattern:

I am willing to change the patterns in me that created this condition.  I love and approve of myself.  I am safe.

I never imagined I would have my dentist telling me that I was stressed, but he sure did and I should have been listening to the message that my body had been trying to send for several weeks.  Message received and heard, time to work on getting my anger out again and assure my body that I heard it.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! Rage and wanting revenge!!
    I'm totally amazed at the miraculous things these bodies are. I notice similar things all the time. Just need to listen more often.
    Hope things get better. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!