Thursday, September 6, 2012

Worry, Worry, Worry

In the past, asking me not to worry was like asking me not to breathe, wait, I had a hard time with that too.  Well, I am doing much better, or at least until today.  Today I am dropping my daughter off for her first semester of college.  I had worked with my therapist to help me send my son off to college and then on to a mission and I am wondering if those experiences really have prepared me to send my baby off to college as well. 

My daughter and I have a close relationship, we have done a lot of things together from gymnastics to crafting and more.  She is the "professional opinion" that I need when working on items for my workshops and she is my joy.  I know this is going to be a hard day for me and leaving her this evening to stay for the semester without worrying like crazy will be even harder.  So to guide me, I went back to my therapy notes for the following from the book How to Stop Worrying and Start Living, by Dale Carnegie:

To banish worry take these four steps:  1-Writing down precisely what you are worrying about; 2-Write down what you can do about it; 3-Decide what to do; and 4-Start immediately to carry out that decision.

Wow, well, its pretty obvious what I am worrying about, and well, there isn't much I can do about it other than trapping her in her bedroom at home for the rest of her life (don't think that is going to happen).  What I am going to do is pray for her safety, talk to her as much as I can via telephone, text and Skype and know in my heart that this is what she needs.

I have shared this quote that my cousin gave me years ago and I would like to share it again, with some revisions:

I have to accept that what my daughter is going through is the only way for my daughter to learn what she needs to know to progress spiritually and doing so takes the drama out of the situation.

I had to do the same thing when my son left for Brazil.  Seeing them move forward in their lives isn't easy for me, I want to hold them close to my heart at all times, but I know that is not what is best for them.  So tonight when I leave her in her dorm for the first time, I will worry, but I will also trust!  Love you punkin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!