Monday, July 9, 2012

The Tipping Point

I started a project several years ago that I call "The Tipping Point" named after a section in the book The Power, by Rhonda Byrne, with the same title of "The Tipping Point."  This is what it says:

If you give more that 50 percent positive thoughts and feelings instead of negative, you have reached a tipping point.  Even if you just give 51 percent good thoughts and good feelings, you have tipped the scales of your life!  . . .  To change your life, all you have to do is tip the scales by giving 51 percent love through your good thoughts and good feelings.  Once you reach the tipping point of giving more love than negativity, the love that comes back to you then multiplies itself by attracting more love through the law of attraction.  Suddenly you experience an acceleration and multiplication of good things! . . .  When you wake up each morning, you are standing at the tipping point of your day.  One way tips you into a wonderful day filled with good things, and the other way tips you into a day filled with problems. . . .  Every day is an opportunity for a new life, because every single day you stand at the tipping point of your life.  And on any one day you can change the future - through the way that you feel.  When you tip the balance to good feelings, the force of love will change your life so fast that you will scarcely believe it.

At the time I read this I was having a really hard time feeling any love for myself.  So I decided that every day when I wrote in my journal I was going to write down the number of how much I liked myself on a scale of 1-100.  It seemed more realistic to me to aim for The Tipping Point of 51 than to try to aim for 100.  I just really didn't like myself and didn't see ever getting to 100 was a reality, but aiming for 51, the tipping point, I could do that.  I was telling a friend about this process recently and told her that I started out at a zero, that really was how I felt about myself, a big zero, I didn't like myself at all.  My friend said that this made her sad and I had to agree, it is sad that I felt that way.

Every day I would close my eyes and ask myself how much I liked myself and then would write down the first number that popped into my head.  By paying attention to this number each day I was able to start focusing on ways to increase the number.  It has been a slow process and sometimes I would even get stuck at a number for a long time.  To move up I would try different things, sometimes I would use affirmations, sometimes I would just make more of an effort in how I looked, but mostly just by trying to be kinder to myself.

So this last week when I got back from a week with my friend, her son, my daughter and two more of their friends on a Senior Trip to Southern California, I was catching up on my journaling and as I did my usual question of "how much do I love myself today?"  I was so surprised when the first thought in my head was 51.  51, really?  I questioned myself, yes, really 51, but 51 is the Tipping Point, how did I get to 51?  I had been stuck at 49 for such a long time, many, many months and now I had moved up, and moved up to the Tipping Point.  I was so excited.

As I pondered how I got to 51 I thought about my friend and our trip.  My kids and I like to get silly hats when we are in Disneyland and wear them each day we are there.  I found the one I loved and then got one for my friend.  As we walked around the park we would see our reflection and she would say things like, "we are so cute," "look how adorable we are" and so on.  Before I knew it I was saying those things too.  I don't remember the last time I looked at my reflection and commented on how cute or adorable I was, but the more we said it, the more it stuck in my head.  Just these positive, seemingly silly comments made a huge difference in how I felt about myself.  So lesson learned, say it and you will believe it!

I'm now at the Tipping Point of 51, I know I need to keep working at it, but for the first time in years I like myself more than I dislike myself, even if it is only by 1 point, it is so much more than when I first started this project!  I'm just believing in myself more and more, and it now seems more realistic to aim for 100.  Now that I'm at the Tipping Point I wonder if the process will go faster, it will be interesting to see.  At least I can look at myself now and not hate what I see, I actually like what I see, and, as you can see in this picture, we really were adorable in our silly hats! 


1 comment:

  1. Adorable for sure!! I LOVE this post...just like I love all your posts. And once again it's perfect timing. Thanks for always writing just what I need to read. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!