Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Surviving High School

My daughter just graduated from high school and I know that technically she is the one that survived high school itself, but our whole family survived her surviving it!  High school was so much fun for me, so sometimes it was hard for me to understand the difficulties that she experienced.  But we were listing off the differences the other day, for example, for me, my senior year was really fun.  I had a dance class, cheerleading, drama, a needle arts class, etc.  The only challenging class that I had was Human Biology. 

She had for her senior year AP Psychology, history, college prep, english, etc.  The only fun class she had was photography.  I went to high school in Utah where seminary is a time release class that you get to take during the day.  Megan's seminary class was early morning at 6:05 am (and she isn't a morning person).  The kids I went to high school had similar morals whereas the kids in Megan's high school consistently used foul language, talked about wild parties, sex and more. 

When I went to high school, you just took your general ed classes and whatever else you want to.  My daughter had to pick a specific pathway of classes to take that would be in her desired field of future work.  She picked the Fine Arts pathway as a freshman and as each year has had more and more cuts to the schools, many of the fine arts classes were done away with so she didn't have as many options. 

When I was in high school there was no such thing as a Senior Project or WASL type testing that you had to pass in order to get your diploma.  The pressures she has been feeling the last few months on top of not really enjoying the high school experience itself (thank goodness for good friends and the Daffodil Festival events as they were the only things that cheered her up) has made it all very difficult for her and for us.  We had to push her through many assignments and staying on top of everything.  Needless to say, a lot of my own life fell onto the back burner as I helped sustain her through all her assignments and the many emotional melt downs that were a natural occurrence of the stress that she was feeling. 

I am so happy to say that we survived!  And now I feel like we can get back to normal life, after some recovery time I am sure.  Sometimes that is just how life is, everything else gets put on hold and you just do everything you can to survive what you are in in the moment.  Once you have survived, then pull your life back together and move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!