Thursday, March 15, 2012

Challenge: Journaling Your Emotions

One of my sisters started giving her siblings challenges to do, like I dare you to dance to music today. I think challenging ourselves is a great way to get yourself moving then the added part of telling someone your challenge makes it more real. I have quite a few things that I need to challenge myself with and lately I have been trying to work on some anxiety issues. I decided to get a few books on anxiety from the library and in one called "Anxiety Free" I read this:

"Worry, in addition to being a strategy to fend off disaster, is also a way of blocking your emotions. . . . You are thinking not feeling. You are trying to think your way out of discomfort."

This was an eye opener, I knew I had a problem with facing my emotions, but the worrying part as a tool to block the feelings made me take a closer look at what I am doing. One of the suggestions in the book is to "validate your feelings" and suggests keeping an emotional journal. The book also suggests to carry it around with your or make an effeort to write in it several times a day for about 10 minutes each. The book went on to say:

"Your being able to feel [your emotions] is absolutely crucial. . . . The more you are able to feel them, the less you need to keep them at bay through worrying."

I love journal writing, I have written in journals since I was a little kid, but when I read this I realized that I am keep a daily journal of what I do, rarely do I write how I feel in my entries. I write about my day and what I do, where I go, what I am struggling with, but I am failing to really connect with my emotions through my writings. So I decided I need to give myself a dare, to challenge myself to start writing my emotions daily. I'll let you know how I am doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!