Thursday, January 5, 2012

Resolutions

I just love the new year because it is a time of reflection and a time of looking back at the past year and seeing what worked and what didn't.  I like to take what didn't work and try something different.  I also do this with each new catalog cycle in my Close To My Heart business, a new catalog, a new cycle to try and make things better.  I just love planning and organizing my thoughts to start anew.

I was reading my friend Haunani's blog recently and she had just written a "manifesto" and I loved what she wrote and I hope she doesn't mind my sharing (she has a great blog you can click the link on my list of blogs I follow to see it, it is called "Stuff I love"), here is what she wrote:

I read someone's New Year's "manifesto" and I loved it. Hers was colorful and framed and cute, but mine isn't there yet...it's just been in my head all day, so I thought I'd set if free and put it on my blog. Here's mine...  Move more. Be adventurous. Try something new. Hug people. Smile at strangers. Say I love you. Stop worrying. Stop questioning. Trust. Believe. Hope. Turn off the tv. Eat more veggies. Get enough sleep. Write letters. Be generous. Listen to music. Play. Laugh. Sing loud. Look for the best in others. Be grateful. Wear pretty shoes. Remember how many people love you and stop worrying about the ones who don't. Pray. Listen. Read. Be still.

It kind of reminded me of the beautiful gift my friend Heather made for me.  I didn't write the words, but they are words that I would use (I guess that's why when she saw the vinyl lettering she just knew it was for me).  I hung the mirror in my bedroom so I could see the words to constantly remind me. 

This week I was preparing to teach a lesson on Sunday and in the lesson it refers to President George Albert Smith's "personal creed" which is as follows:

“I would be a friend to the friendless and find joy in ministering to the needs of the poor.  I would visit the sick and afflicted and inspire in them a desire for faith to be healed.  I would teach the truth to the understanding and blessing of all mankind.  I would seek out the erring one and try to win him back to a righteous and a happy life.  I would not seek to force people to live up to my ideals but rather love them into doing the thing that is right. I would live with the masses and help to solve their problems that their earth life may be happy. I would avoid the publicity of high positions and discourage the flattery of thoughtless friends. I would not knowingly wound the feelings of any, not even one who may have wronged me, but would seek to do him good and make him my friend. I would overcome the tendency to selfishness and jealousy and rejoice in the successes of all the children of my Heavenly Father. I would not be an enemy to any living soul.  Knowing that the Redeemer of mankind has offered to the world the only plan that will fully develop us and make us really happy here and hereafter, I feel it not only a duty but also a blessed privilege to disseminate this truth.”

Isn't that great, the lesson went on to tell about President Smith and how he truly lived his personal creed which really inspired me.  So between Heather's gift, Haunani's manifesto and President Smith's personal creed and in the true nature of New Year's Resolutions, here are my words to live by:

 Follow my Breathe strategies consistently.
Make dinner and do the dishes.
Make my tasks match my energy level.
Dress cute each day.
Share my talents.
Acknowledge others through words.
Create to my heart's content.
Love with abandon.
Face anxiety with courage.
Feel the peace of the Temple.
Be an obvious member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Reach out to others in all directions.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Renae! I LOVE it!! And I'm so flattered that you quoted me in your post. Can't believe I didn't see it last week when you wrote it. Your words to live by are AWESOME. Happy 2012! I LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!