Thursday, October 20, 2011

Dreams

I don't believe that all dreams mean something, but I do believe that many dreams do have a message.  Generally, when I remember a dream I feel like that dream is trying to tell me something.  Also, I have had instances of recurring themed dreams such as the one I described in my blog entry "Dream Come True" which is in my blog renaecreates.blogspot.com.  In those recurring dreams I always found myself in my home (the house always looked different) and I would come upon an unused room or hidden room and I would say to myself, "I could use this room as my scrapbook room."  I knew this dream was telling me that I was craving a creative space for myself.  Incidentally, I quit having these dreams when we moved and I did get a scrapbook room.

Lately, I have been having another recurring themed dream where I am work.  I worked for over 15 years as a legal secretary and in these dreams I find myself working at one of these past jobs.  The situation is different in each dream, either I'm wanting to quit, getting fired, or just working.  I checked online at Dreammoods.com about what the possibility of a dream about work might mean.  Here are a few of the suggestions that I felt like might be possibilities:

To  dream that you are at work indicates that you are experiencing some anxiety about a current project or task. The dream may also be telling you that you need to "get back to work".  To  dream that you are at your former work suggests that there is an old lesson that you need to learn and apply to your current situation.

I'm still working on what these dreams might be telling me, but I have figured out other past dream.  During the first few months of therapy I had the recurring themed dreams of clogged toilets, my blog entry "Plugged Up Emotions" describes these particular dreams and what I learned from them.
Several years ago when we were preparing to move, I had been spending many hours every day at our new home fixing all the problems it had.  It was very frustrating and exhausting work.  During this time I had a dream that we had a foster baby, a little girl and she was so happy and easy going, so much so that I forgot she was in the living room in a baby swing.  Then an adult, probably from DSHS or something came by to check on us.  The baby looked fine and so the lady left.  But I knew I hadn't taken care of her like I should have.  I hadn't changed her diaper in all the time I had her or done anything else she needed, but she didn't cry, she didn't complain in any way.  I hugged her and held her and she felt good in my arms.  I knew from that point forward I would take better care of her as long as I had her.  I started a bath for her and then I woke up.  It wasn't until I started writing the dream down that I knew that my dream was telling me that the baby was me, my inner child and I had been neglecting her all these years to get things done but now I was committing to love her and remember her and to take care of her needs.  It was funny as I was describing this dream to my therapist, she just smiled and I said, "you know don't you, you know that the baby is me."  She just smiled and said, "yes."  Here are a few lines from Dreammoods.com describing what forgetting about a baby in your dreams could mean:

[F]orgetting about a baby represents an aspect of yourself that you have abandoned or put aside due to life's changing circumstances. The dream may serve as a reminder that it is time for you to pick up that old interest, hobby, or project again.

I have only had a few similar dreams since then, but I know when I have a dream where I realize I have been neglecting a baby, I know that I have been neglecting my own self-care.

It was my birthday this week and the night before I had a dream that I had a baby.  I was sharing the dream with some friends and one mentioned how interesting it was that I would dream about a birth on the eve of my birthday.  Dreammoods.com says:

To dream that you or someone is having a baby suggests that you are giving birth to a new idea or project. It also represents new beginnings or some upcoming event.

What a great message, a rebirth of my life, even my name means "reborn."  It is so exciting to listen to these inner messages that have been guiding me for years.  I love the thought that I am now having a new beginning and redefining my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!