Saturday, January 1, 2011

A New Year, A New Me

So here I am in the wee hours of the morning on January 1, 2011.  I got home about an hour ago from picking up my daughter and her friends from a church New Year's Eve dance.  When I left to pick them up, I stepped out the front door and the brightness of the stars took my breath away.  I just had to stop and look, there were millions of them out and so bright, I haven't seen them that beautiful in a really long time, maybe never.  All I know was how immensely breath taking they were.  As I started my long drive to the church, I began thinking about how last year when it turned 2010 I was so grateful!  2009 had been an extremely challenging year for me and I was so glad when it was done.  2010 had difficult moments, but also good moments and I couldn't help but wonder what 2011 has in store.  I'm hoping that in this new year, I can be a new me by reaching back to a time in my life when I was really happy and loved myself and reaching forward with all the new wisdom I have learned the last few years and combining them.  Almost a month ago I was listening to a business talk that really inspired me.  It really gave me some good ideas, not just in my business, but also with my personal life.  The last few years I had really withdrawn from life as I tried to work through things.  This talk gave me the pieces I needed to step forward in a way that would be easier for me and believe it or not, it was through online social networking.  I remember thinking how I could do their suggestions because I could reach out, but still be in my home where I felt safe and comfortable.  So I started preparing, I spent the last few weeks putting things in place.  One friend told me about an online calendar system, cozi.com, that you can put your calendar items on, then it sends you emails with your schedule for the week and can also send text reminders (I put my kids chores on the calendar and it sends them a text each day to remind them what they need to do - how awesome is that?!).  I put everything on there and then created another calendar just for my business items.  I planned everything out and got it all organized.  Then I found sparkpeople.com, a free online site that helps you with your food, exercise, etc.  You can join groups and earn points and all kinds of cool things.  I started my blogs (this one, one for my son's mission to Brazil eldermcbarron.blogspot.com and one for the things I create renaecreates.blogspot.com).  I had already started on Facebook over a year ago so that I could check in with my kids but realize now that it has helped me connect with people without necessarily having to leave home.  One thing my therapist tells me is to find a way to "make friends" with things I'm having difficulty with.  Since I withdrew, reaching out has been hard, but the social networking is a way to "make friends" with reaching out.  I even just joined Twitter (renaecreates is my user name) to reach out even more.  Then I started an account with mailchimp.com so I could send online newsletters to friends, family and Close to my Heart customers.  I finished putting all my plans together and everything in place to help me accomplish it by the last day of 2010.  You know that saying about how if you keep doing things the same way that you always have, you will always get the same results.  Well, I decided I wanted things to be different, so I changed so many things and here I am starting the New Year with a "new life" and I am so excited about it.  I feel really good about 2011 and I'm finally feeling good about me too.  A new year, a new me, who knew?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your changes! Best of luck with all of them. Sounds like 2011 is going to be a great year for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!