Friday, January 21, 2011

If you always do . . .

It was sometime after Thanksgiving a few months ago when I thought about this phrase - "If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten."  Apparently Tony Robbins said this (I looked it up online).  I have heard it many times, but as I thought about it this time, I decided to take it to heart and to just change everything  (well, not quite everything).  I was finally feeling better after years of anxiety and depression and I just wanted things to be different.  I started with simple things, I changed how I did my calendar (check out cozi.com, so cool!), then I changed how I was running my business (check out renaemcbarron.myctmh.com) by spreading the work out and committing to work hours, I changed how I looked at finishing projects around the house (they don't have to be done and finished all at once or immediately, really they don't), I changed how I was sending newsletters to family, friends and customers (check out mailchimp.com) and more.  I decided to take the month of December to put things into place so that come January 1st, I was ready to roll.  The morning of January 1st I set it all into action and was particularly looking forward to Monday, the first day of the business/school week and I just knew things were going to work great.  Well, Monday came and my husband ended up having the day off and that altered my plans a little.  Then Tuesday morning my daughter woke me up at 4:00 am covered in hives which totally altered how that day went from then on and so on.  But I kept at it and things started to improve, the last few weeks have worked really well.  I'm not so rigid that I can't make changes as needed, or rest if I need to (see "Maybe that's Okay" post earlier this month).  Then this morning I woke up thinking, I need to change a few more things.  I thought how it is time to start loving myself more, eat better, exercise more and feel my emotions more (I usually shut them up inside, but I've been working on it).  Last week I had decided that I was going to start walking 3 miles a day so I did that on Monday and Tuesday, then this morning I thought, I really hate doing that.  I have an awesome treadmill, but an hour every morning doing just that I decided was way too much.  So this morning I decided to change it, because if I was already dreading it on day 3, it probably wasn't a good plan to start with.  So I changed to half-an-hour on the treadmill and then doing something fun like Just Dance for Wii or my yoga DVD that I really enjoy.  I am looking forward to this new plan and I remind myself to just keep taking everything one day at a time.  Just now when I was looking up the above quote online, I found another version and I loved it so much I wanted to share it too.  "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got, and you'll always feel what you always felt."  I loved the addition of "feeling."  It goes on to say a few other comments and then ends with this, ". . . you have to be the change you want to see in your life" (submitted by Lisa Turner to quickandsimple.com).  I guess that is what I am finally doing, being the change I want to see in my life just by reminding myself that if I want different results, I need to change what I am doing and feeling.

1 comment:

  1. There have been times when I've waited and waited for my life to change. This most recent move forced a lot of change for me that have made a HUGE difference in my life. My favorite part of your post was "you have to BE the change you want to see in your life" AMEN, sister!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!